POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #write and float decimal places : Re: #write and float decimal places Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #write and float decimal places
From: Mark James Lewin
Date: 4 Mar 2002 17:23:24
Message: <3C83F30C.AB4C24FA@yahoo.com.au>
ingo wrote:

> > Could there be a place in the manual (somewhere in
> > section 6.1.3) which states the number of dp for people like me?
> >

> 6.1.7.3  String Functions
>
> str()

Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I would have liked was a statement that
tells the user the maximum number of dp POV stores for floats (it's, as Warp
said, around 15 or 16).
The description of str() just says you can specify the number of decimal places.
Doing something such as str(FLOAT,0,20) is (usually) pointless if floats are only
stored with 16 dp. Likewise specifying a 20dp float in a file to be read is
usually pointless because POV will round it to 16 or so dp anyway.

MJL